Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Dodital – Sangamchatti 22km (via Agoda) – Uttarkashi

27th August, 2010: 7:30 AM

We knew we had to leave early, so that we could make it to Sangamchatti on time and get a jeep back to Uttarkashi. Woke up to a wonderful sunshine and clear skies that morning. For the first time throughout the trek, it was a clear and bright morning. For the whole day today we did not need a jacket or raincoat. Headed back straight to the valley after having fantastic aloo paranthas for our breakfast along with coffee. Not a very exciting thing but still with a feeling that we would be able to capture the photos of our trek route which we couldn’t capture while trekking up, because of the rains.
All our cameras were out. Jai Bhai told us that if the skies stay clear we could still manage a glimpse of Bandarpoonch peak from Manjhi. Excited we headed to Manjhi, taking loads of pictures all the way. But as I said earlier LADY LUCK wasn’t shining on me this time round. The clouds came in again in the upper parts and no view of any peaks; though Dayara Bugyal was clear in our sight. All our trek we have been walking on the rocky path. Most of it we covered wearing our floaters. I guess I paid the price. My left ankle was completely bruised. It had swollen up and walking even on flat ground was terribly painful for me. Every time the rhythm was broken and I started walking again I was in agony of pain.
I tried not to stop anywhere, but the photographer in me dint let me. Plus I am a human, I get tired, so I have to relax. But soon enough my camera batteries started wearing off. Close to Kachru, the rare and the magnificent Himalayan Vultures appeared in the blue sky. Luckily with my 20x zoom lens I managed to capture some decent shots. All this time I was praying to god “Please don’t let the battery wear off.” It dint, in fact, it’s still alive. It was here where we took a major shortcut. It was very steep but fun to get off at. At this point I crossed the threshold of my ankle injury. Maybe we shouldn’t have taken the shortcut, but hell we saved a lot of walk :o) …. 1.30PM I finally limped to Agoda, Shubhodip accompanied me, Vivek and Pankaj reached way before me. We had nice Maggie for our lunch, picked up our remaining luggage and headed straight to Sangamchatti.
By this time, I had blisters/shoe bites on my feet, cos they were wet, and my right knee felt it couldn’t take any more battering. It was like a worst nightmare coming true when while trekking down from Agoda, my right leg knee started giving up. Plus the wild plants which caused itching on our legs and hands dint help either!! I couldn’t stop there..kept on thinking few more km’s and no more walking. Jai Bhai took my bag from me so I could walk easily. It certainly helped me, thank you Jai Bhai. I was still behind everyone; soon I had Vivek for company. Even he had pulled his nerves. Both of us limped all the way to Sangamchatti taking every possible shortcut on the way, just to avoid any extra walking. Finally 4.30PM we were at Sangamchatti.
By the way don’t get put off with all that we went through, the ankle injury, the nerve pulling, knee battering etc etc etc… Its not as difficult of a trek as I might be making it sound. Apart from the leeches (that to only when it rains), and few steep portions it’s a easy and fun trek to do. All those injuries were our faults; they can happen to anyone anywhere at any damn place.
click below for pictures
UTTARKASHI
We took a jeep back to Uttarkashi, checked into a hotel. First time in last 5 days we took a bath. While Vivek and Shubhodip rested, me and Pankaj headed out to explore Uttarkashi. Since I had been here before during my trek to Gangotri, I knew the place well. We headed straight to the Bridge/Jhula over the Bhagirathi River. I bet it’s the most awesome place to be in Uttarkashi after the sunset. Its very relaxing and refreshing. Watching the reflections of the town lights in the flowing waters of Bhagirathi is simply awesome. We spent about 45mins there. Tell you not just the Bhagirathi River looks beautiful, but the local ladies are pretty too.
It was time to head back to get other guys and have some dinner. Mr Pitamber advised us to dine at Grilled Chicken, who make some fantastic chicken dishes. After meeting Shubhoodip and Vivek near our hotel, we began to hunt for the hotel!! It was very far away, so we decided to eat somewhere else. We had soup at one hotel… Dal Roti Sabzi and Chawal at another hotel and had some boiled eggs on the way too.. If that wasn’t enough me and Vivek ate sprouts after eating our dinner…Oh by the way me and Pankaj earlier had ½ Liters o mixed fresh fruit juice each!!! After eating so much and having a cup of chai we went off to sleep. Oh by the way we managed to get tickets in the AC special Nizamuddin Express from Dehradun for Saturday night.

The RETURN
Next morning i.e. 28th August, 2010, after having our breakfast, we took a jeep back to Dehradun via Chamba, Dhanaulti and Mussourie. The route from Chamba to Dehradun was significantly beautiful and roads were much better. We reached Vivek’s place in Dehradun at 7:00PM. Had fantastic dinner at his place and headed back to station to board the train. Oh by the way, India lost to Sri Lanka that day in the tri series final match.
We reached Delhi on time and soon reached to the comforts of our home. I think initially when the plan was changed there was a change in mood too. Certainly I kept thinking of Kedartal for first part of the trek!! But soon I recovered. Not only did we get back some wonderful memories from this trip, but some leech bites and I certainly got back an ankle injury too. I recon for the first time in 5 yrs of trekking experience I managed to come back injured; an injury that lasted for more than 5 days after the trek. Talking about memories; well how can I forget the Mutton that we had. I think it’s another first time for me. Crossing the stream so many times in one trek itself was something I really enjoyed. We all had some very funny moments all thanks to Shubhodip, he always took everything very sportingly. And the snore fight I had with Shubhodip, one night he dint let us sleep, I took the revenge for next 3 nights… the cutest bhotia dog “Sheru,” I had ever seen, would always stay in my memories.
Yet another, unplanned but a wonderful trek comes to an end. Hope I dint bore you with my story. Oh before bidding adios, let me share the contact details of the agency through which we went:
Contact: HighLand Trek & Tours
Pitamber, Uttarkashi
013374 222680
09412026657
Guide: Jay Kumar : 09410353989
If you intend to do only Dodital and Dharwa To and not cross across to Hanuman Chatti, its best to just contact the guide, because you have accommodation and food all the way through the trek.
Take care while trekking and come back home injury free and with tons of memories. Happy trekking to everyone who reads my travelogue….

Thanks&Regards
Tanzeem Patankar

3 comments:

  1. Awesome photography........... Story is also excellent ........ 10 out of 10.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks Soumya..hope you dint miss the pics... in the links within the story

    ReplyDelete